Killer Feature?

Reinhard Tartler siretart at tauware.de
Sat Apr 15 08:20:32 BST 2006

Derek Broughton wrote:
>> When I turn on my laptop, I want it to notice whether it's docked.  If it
>> is
>> docked, is it at home or at work?  If at home (and docked) I want one
>> configuration - maybe I have a second monitor connected to the docking
>> station.
>> I've looked at the whereami package, and it
>> seems to have most of the necessary pieces.  I think that package deserves
>> some attention and a gui configurator or two.  The good news is, I'm
>> pretty sure this could be written in python, ruby or perl and plugged
>> right into a
>> Gnome or KDE systemsettings type app.  What do you guys think, and what's
>> your missing killer feature?
>
> I completely agree with you - both that whereami actually does this, and
> that we need a gui config tool.

I also love wheremai, but, I'm a bit confused how you could have a
graphical user interface to it without loosing too much functionality.

The next step would be to call it in appropriate locations. For me, I'm
using it from wpasupplicant action scripts, which suits me well. But
even this isn't a standard setup.

I think we have 2 problems with this approach: Whereami needs to be
integrated cleanly, and whereami needs to be configurable more easily.

Greetings,
	Reinhard