apps choice for Ubuntu and installation choices [Was: cross-platform virus]

Alexander Jacob Tsykin stsykin at gmail.com
Fri Apr 14 06:08:10 BST 2006

On Thursday 13 April 2006 22:51, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 14:40:33 +1000
>
> Alexander Jacob Tsykin <stsykin at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Thursday 13 April 2006 13:40, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:

> > > I'll chime in on the side of the GIMP.  It is part of what brought
> > > me over from the Dark Side.  Both of my daughters and my wife use
> > > the Windows version.
> >
> > Do they use it to its full capabilities? If not, their are definitely
> > easier to sue programs. Especially if they only remove red eye, they
> > should look at something like Picassa.
> >
> > Sasha
>
> Wife likes to play around with tweaking digi pictures.  Both daughters
> are aspiring artists and use it as a drawing program.  None of the
> three would give up the GIMP for (gasp!) /reduced/ functionality.
> Nor would I.
> Would Photoshop users revert to MS's Paint program and be happy?  Nah.

my point is that for most people, the Gimp is overkill (I think, I have no
figures to back this up with as yet, just anecdotal evidence). It is very
good for artists. Not much good for touch ups. Its all very well and good to
talk about enhanced functionality, but unless its used, it might as well not
be there. I don't think the majority of Gimp users would use it to anywhere
near its full functionality.

Sasha