Some more observations on list etiquette (was Comments about Linux/Ubuntu)

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Wed Apr 12 11:11:00 BST 2006

On Wed, 2006-04-12 at 20:05 +1000, Peter Garrett wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 10:26:11 +0100
> Matthew East <mdke at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Listiquette

> Seems reasonable. I do think a bit of slack can be cut on Sounder though
> The "About Sounder" listinfo *does* say:
>
> "Anything goes Ubuntu community chit-chat and discussion list"
>
> So ... let's not be too , erm, anal [1} about this, please...

I agree: common sense when applying these guidelines is obviously a
prerequisite. For example, on sounder, the "Topic" section is not
intended to contain strict rules, but rather guide users towards
avoiding writing messages which simply say "I agree" or "This is true"
without furthering the discussion (I received at least 3 or 4 of these
overnight to sounder). Also, even sounder has a vague topic, which is
defined basically by the class of persons reading it (who are interested
in ubuntu + its community, linux, and open source software).

Matt
mdke at ubuntu.com
gnupg pub 1024D/0E6B06FF