Microsoft to support Linux hosting in Virtual Server

Alexander Jacob Tsykin stsykin at gmail.com
Wed Apr 12 09:22:38 BST 2006

On Wednesday 12 April 2006 18:07, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> > It is a serious problem though -- piracy of Windows is quite common,
> > and, in most cases, those PCs that are bought "naked" _are_ running
> > pirated copies of Windows.
>
> Do you have any evidence of this claim?  I've seen various people
> claim that «computers sold with Linux are reinstalled with pirated
> windows» and your claim above, but I have never seen any statistics
> which backs it up.

Seems implausible. To have a pirated version of Windows and install it, and
get it working in spite of the protections, a certain knowledge of computers
is required. If the person who got the computer had Linux installed, given
that the person is unlikely to have a particularly deep knowledge of
computers (statistically), he will either install a legal copy of Windows or
leave Linux on it. If the person asked the techie he bought the computer from
to install an illegal version of Windows to avoid paying for it, he would not
have had Linux installed on it originally.

Sasha