Competition? (was Re: cross-platform virus)

Alexander Jacob Tsykin stsykin at gmail.com
Wed Apr 12 01:39:19 BST 2006

On Wednesday 12 April 2006 08:40, Peter Garrett wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 23:14:23 +1000
>
> Sasha Tsykin <stsykin at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Absolutely, but we want them to find Ubuntu to be the best. Ubuntu does
> > compete with other distributions, it is wrong to think that ti doesn't.
>
> It doesn't, really - not in the usual sense of the word "competition",
> anyway. Increasing the number of Linux users is good for all
> distributions, and the improvements made to Ubuntu (and to other
> distributions) benefit all distributions, as long as they are "Free" .
>
> The source code is available to all . That's one of the major differences
> between Free/Libre software and the alternatives.
>
> Of course, it's nice to be first with innovations and so on - but that
> kind of "competition" isn't the classic "we beat, you and you can't use our
> ideas" variety so common in the commercial world.
>
> Peter
Of course not. Its more of the kind: "we came up with an idea and so now we're
people's favourite Linux." Every body will benefit from a development
assuming they choose to integrate it. Whoever gets it first WILL be at an
advantage though, and Ubuntu does try to get users INSTEAD of other
distributions. That si the definition of competition.

Sasha