cross-platform virus

Alan McKinnon alan at linuxholdings.co.za
Tue Apr 11 21:33:32 BST 2006

On Tuesday 11 April 2006 16:18, Sasha Tsykin wrote:
> > What measurements and studies have you conducted or consulted to
> > be in a position to say that 'they just leave it and say "isn't
> > that a crap distro."' That looks like an awfully big assumption
> > on your part.
>
> taling to them, and personal experience. The first time I used
> Ubuntu I abandoned it because I couldn't figure out how to gain
> root privileges.

So you have anecdotal evidence. How many users? Provide an integral
number please.

> >> Furthermore, many major Linux distributions provide these sorts
> >> of choices, eg. Fedora.
> >
> > What exactly do you mean by this? What would you like Ubuntu to
> > change? Minimal/Server/Dev/Desktop install choices are
> > nonsensical in the light of the core Ubuntu philosophy
>
> how?

Ubuntu gives you a desktop with what the devs consider to be the best
apps in each given category. No confusion, no wondering what else to
install. It's intended to give an average user the apps they are
liable to need. Opinions differ as to whether the apps supplied
really are the best choice, but the intent is to provide a desktop
that is immediately usable by most users.

However, if you need a development box, then it's a cinch you know how
to apt-get so that's left up to you. If you need a server-type
install, then you get to apt-get all the stuff you need.

There's no need to provide several choices of install types, the OS
wasn;t designed with those goals in mind.

--
If only you and dead people understand hex,
how many people understand hex?

Alan McKinnon
alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za