Comments about Linux/Ubuntu from a former MS-programmer

Sasha Tsykin stsykin at gmail.com
Tue Apr 11 14:44:39 BST 2006

Lee Revell wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-04-10 at 23:49 +1000, Sasha Tsykin wrote:
>> I agree entirely, it is my opinion that because of bugs and poor
>> multimedia support Linux is not ready yet. For example, codecs in
>> 64-bit Ubuntu, and flash don't work very well. Even in 32-bit Ubuntu,
>> there is no flash 8 plugin for any browser, only flash 7. This is not
>> exactly a desirable circumstance.
>
> These 32/64 bit issues are vanishingly small compared to getting video
> to play back smoothly in the browser on a normal 32-bit system - MS
> doesn't support mixer 32/64 bit environments at all.
>
> Lee

It doesn't need to considering nobody actually uses 64-bit windows. It
is a major issue for Ubuntu, because it is one of the major selling
points of Ubuntu, that you can sue it for whatever architecture you
might want (almost), and completely free. Very few people would ever buy
a new copy of Windows but they would download or request for free a new
copy of Ubuntu, so the issue is more pressing. In any case, 32-bit
binaries do work in 64-bit windows, onyl the very old 16-bit binaries
don't work.

Sasha