cross-platform virus

Alan McKinnon alan at linuxholdings.co.za
Mon Apr 10 23:47:20 BST 2006

On Monday 10 April 2006 16:40, Sasha Tsykin wrote:
> Alan McKinnon wrote:
> >> So supply enterprise and personal desktop options in the
> >> installer. It is certainly something everybody can understand,
> >> and is not difficult to set up, neither would it take much extra
> >> disk space, it would only include things that are simply
> >> uninteresting to the average desktop user in the enterprise
> >> option instead. Would seem to make sense.
> >
> > I think that would only serve to increase support traffic even
> > more and introduce confusion. We are already swamped with "I
> > typed my root password and nothing
> > happened!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" type posts, surely we don't
> > want more and also have two explain to switch-to-root systems?
> > With sudo, a single default setup suits most single users well,
> > and it scales up.
>
> it does not suit users of other Linuxes at all. When they use
> Ubuntu, they find they can't do anything which requires root
> privileges (because most of the time they have never even heard of
> sudo) and they just leave it and say "isn't that a crap distro."
> This has to change.

I can't believe you posted that.

Ubuntu should change it's privilige elevation scheme because ... Red
Hat/SuSE/MostEverythingElse does it a different way?? By that logic
we should dump X into near-kernel space because Windows does it that
way, and the effects of Ctrl-Alt-Fn confuse new users.

What measurements and studies have you conducted or consulted to be in
a position to say that 'they just leave it and say "isn't that a crap
distro."' That looks like an awfully big assumption on your part.

> Furthermore, many major Linux distributions provide these sorts of
> choices, eg. Fedora.

What exactly do you mean by this? What would you like Ubuntu to
change? Minimal/Server/Dev/Desktop install choices are nonsensical in
the light of the core Ubuntu philosophy

--
If only you and dead people understand hex,
how many people understand hex?

Alan McKinnon
alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za