cross-platform virus

John dingo at coco2.arach.net.au
Mon Apr 10 17:20:57 BST 2006

Sasha Tsykin wrote:

>> I think that would only serve to increase support traffic even more
>> and introduce confusion. We are already swamped with "I typed my root
>> password and nothing happened!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" type posts,
>> surely we don't want more and also have two explain to switch-to-root
>> systems? With sudo, a single default setup suits most single users
>> well, and it scales up.
>>
> it does not suit users of other Linuxes at all. When they use Ubuntu,
> they find they can't do anything which requires root privileges (because
> most of the time they have never even heard of sudo) and they just leave
> it and say "isn't that a crap distro." This has to change.

As I recall, it was explained to me when I installed Warty.

What Ubuntu does is what Apple OS X does, it's very like Windows XP/2003
"run as."

I'm comfortable with Ubuntu's use of sudo, I'd like the others to make
it an option.

> Furthermore, many major Linux distributions provide these sorts of
> choices, eg. Fedora.

Fedora uses the su approach (tho I think it's not actually su anymore,
it's something that works with selinux. Runas maybe).