cross-platform virus

Kent Nyberg nyberg.kent at spray.se
Mon Apr 10 20:39:59 BST 2006

tis 2006-04-11 klockan 00:40 +1000 skrev Sasha Tsykin:
> Alan McKinnon wrote:
> >> So supply enterprise and personal desktop options in the installer.
> >> It is certainly something everybody can understand, and is not
> >> difficult to set up, neither would it take much extra disk space,
> >> it would only include things that are simply uninteresting to the
> >> average desktop user in the enterprise option instead. Would seem
> >> to make sense.
> >
> > I think that would only serve to increase support traffic even more
> > and introduce confusion. We are already swamped with "I typed my root
> > password and nothing happened!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" type posts,
> > surely we don't want more and also have two explain to switch-to-root
> > systems? With sudo, a single default setup suits most single users
> > well, and it scales up.
> >
> it does not suit users of other Linuxes at all. When they use Ubuntu,
> they find they can't do anything which requires root privileges (because
> most of the time they have never even heard of sudo) and they just leave
> it and say "isn't that a crap distro." This has to change.
>
> Furthermore, many major Linux distributions provide these sorts of
> choices, eg. Fedora.
>
> Sasha

So, if I understand you correctly - User finds out they cant use the
root-account correctly? That implies they know about root-accounts.
Those who know about root-acounts also can find out about the usage of
sudo. That should not be a problem. And as fare as I know even the
default setup will make it pretty obvious since they are asked to enter
their own password for admin-tasks. That is,  its not to much to ask for
that a user who knows about root-accounts can understand the default
setup where he is asked for his own password when running programs that
demands root-access.

And for those who dont know about how Ubuntu has chosed (as does OSX?)
to work with programs needing root-access - They are assumed
(correctly?) to at least be able to look through the menus for functions
they need to run. (Those who cant do that fall out of this discussion
anyway, since admin/root/sudo is nothing they know about and not what
they at that moment want to know about.)  The need for example to
configure the network will bring up a dialog where the user is asked to
enter his or her own password.  Nothing confusing there. As for deep
knowledge about sudo - the user might not get to know about it at
instant. But thats not a problem is it? The need to configure the
network can be satisfied without a single problem for even new users -
and thats all that matters.

I dont understand how the usage of sudo will make people go any other
way than either: Oh, it uses sudo. Lets turn it off.  Or, oh.. this just
works. Nice.

:)

Kent Nyberg.