cross-platform virus

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Mon Apr 10 16:30:31 BST 2006

Sasha Tsykin wrote:

> it does not suit users of other Linuxes at all. When they use Ubuntu,
> they find they can't do anything which requires root privileges (because
> most of the time they have never even heard of sudo) and they just leave
> it and say "isn't that a crap distro." This has to change.

Why?  I don't understand the attitude that says that Ubuntu (or any specific
Linux distro, or even Linux as a whole) _has_ to compete - with Windows,
with Mac, with the BSDs - in any way at all.

I use Ubuntu _because_ it suits my needs.  If I found another distro that
worked better for me, I'd be really surprised if anybody (whose opinion
mattered to me) felt that I'd done anything wrong.  Conversely, I don't get
upset that there are people out there who'd prefer to use Suse, Mandriva,
Fedora, etc.  I even tolerate the BSD'ers and I'm still married to a
Windows user (and even spent the 6 hours needed to upgrade her to XP from
98!).

If someone installs Ubuntu, finds they can't do anything in root, and gives
up without investigating further, it's their loss - and _only_ their loss.
It doesn't damage either me or Ubuntu.
--
derek