cross-platform virus

Sasha Tsykin stsykin at gmail.com
Mon Apr 10 15:40:37 BST 2006

Alan McKinnon wrote:
>> So supply enterprise and personal desktop options in the installer.
>> It is certainly something everybody can understand, and is not
>> difficult to set up, neither would it take much extra disk space,
>> it would only include things that are simply uninteresting to the
>> average desktop user in the enterprise option instead. Would seem
>> to make sense.
>
> I think that would only serve to increase support traffic even more
> and introduce confusion. We are already swamped with "I typed my root
> password and nothing happened!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" type posts,
> surely we don't want more and also have two explain to switch-to-root
> systems? With sudo, a single default setup suits most single users
> well, and it scales up.

it does not suit users of other Linuxes at all. When they use Ubuntu,
they find they can't do anything which requires root privileges (because
most of the time they have never even heard of sudo) and they just leave
it and say "isn't that a crap distro." This has to change.

Furthermore, many major Linux distributions provide these sorts of
choices, eg. Fedora.

Sasha