Gnome's Dialogues

Eric Feliksik milouny at gmx.net
Mon Apr 10 14:34:53 BST 2006

Matthew East wrote:
> Yet, other dialogues have one button, marked "Close"[2] (dialogue 2).
> These appear to do the same thing as the saving button in the first type
> of dialogue. Here's the crazy thing: the save button in dialogue 2 is
> marked with a cross! What's going on here? It's too much for me to
> understand.
> The "Close" button in dialogue 2 isn't really the same as the "Save"
> button in dialogue 1.
You are right. Is the green checkmark-icon still used these days? Maybe
it would better illustrate the functionality of the close button in
dialogue 2 (http://www.gnome.org/~davyd/gnome-2-14/images/pessulus.png)

> (...)
> I really feel that the usability of the dialogues would be improved by
> having one type of dialogue rather than two. I can see the distinction
> you're making, but I can't see any obvious reason for it, and I
> certainly think most users will be confused. I've often clicked the
> cross in the top right corner of the dialogue instead of "Close", in the
> hope that my changes won't be retained.

Actually I really like the 'instant apply' functionality, I think
'apply' buttons everywhere would be unhandy.