cross-platform virus

John dingo at coco2.arach.net.au
Mon Apr 10 01:36:15 BST 2006

Peter Garrett wrote:
> On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 21:12:09 +1000
> Sasha Tsykin <stsykin at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Yuki Cuss wrote:

>>>Not a loophole at all; that's the entire *point* of sudo - that it won't
>>>ask for another password. That usefulness is greatly reduced when you
>>>start saving tokens per-program/command line.
>>>
>>> - Yuki.
>>>

>>But it is at least arguable that this is an insecure practice. It may be
>>"the point," but that does not make it a good idea necessarily.

bash can be configured to run stuff when users logout.

One imagins gksudo (and the KDE equivalent) could be altered to run
stuff when they end.

sudo can be run to delete its tickets.

>>Sasha
>

> Actually, saying that it is "the entire point" strikes me as fairly absurd.
> The "sudo" method has historically been used mainly as a way to avoid
> having to dish out root privlleges, and as a way to exert control over who

For that, it's fairly limited. For example, one who can create accounts
can control the entire system by creating a user accound with uid=0

> is permitted which privileges in an organisation.
>
> Peter
>
> P.S. Again, Sasha, and Yuki - why are you sending direct and CC ing the
> list? It is incredibly annoying, as Cybe R. Wizard has pointed out.
>
> Nobody else seems to do it, and a normal "Reply to List" just sends back

Many email clients do no have "reply to list." Until they have, the
proper configuration for the list is one that works for most common
email clients - set reply-to:.