cross-platform virus

Shawn McMahon smcmahon at eiv.com
Sun Apr 9 02:38:20 BST 2006

On Sat, Apr 08, 2006 at 08:44:29AM -0700, Daniel Robitaille said:

> Wouldn't making Ubuntu's sudo asking for a password every single time
> instead of the current once-per-15-minutes  make the OS more secure
> and immune to this type of simple script with a damaging payload?  But
> of course that would be annoying while using sudo in our day-to-day
> usage, but for an increased security I would consider doing it (and
> actually do on one of my system)

I believe that if we changed it to ask every time, we'd find people
doing "sudo su -" a lot more.  Better would be to ship a default sudoers
that drops it to five minutes.  There might be some exact period of time
that user studies would show is "perfect" but I'm not familiar with it.

--
   Shawn McMahon    | Ubuntu: an ancient African word meaning "I am sick
   EIV Consulting   | of compiling Gentoo".