cross-platform virus

Cybe R. Wizard cybe_r_wizard at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 9 01:23:36 BST 2006

On Sat, 8 Apr 2006 19:30:10 +0200
Alan McKinnon <alan at linuxholdings.co.za> wrote:

[...]

>> Obviously it wouldn't work (sudo needs to
> > ask for a password), unless the user had done a sudo command within
> > the last 15 minutes, and the sudo command still has a token not to
> > ask for a new password.

[...]
> You raise an interesting point, and technically you are correct.
>
> Security is always about finding that fine balance between safety and
> disruptiveness. Currently there are very few Trojan writers out there
> targeting *nix so for the time being we are relatively safe.
>
> I predict that it's only a matter of time before the target of
> Trojans shifts away from Windows. After the first wave of them,
> distros will respond by changing their sudo default to no tokens

Is that really a possibility?  I raised a terminal, typed
<sudo synaptic>, gave it my password and, when synaptic opened, opened
another terminal.  After <sudo gps> it still asked for my
password, even though only a moment had elapsed.  How, then, can a
malicious program make use of my already-in-use sudo session without
<ctl-c>ing me out of whatever program I am already running?

Cybe R. Wizard
	Winduhs

--
Cybe R. Wizard