cross-platform virus

Eric Feliksik milouny at gmx.net
Sat Apr 8 22:16:05 BST 2006

Pete Ryland wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 08, 2006 at 07:13:35 +0200, Eric Feliksik wrote:
>> [sudo...]
>> As soon as gnome/ubuntu actually becomes "linux for
>> grandma", the shit will hit the fan, I'm afraid.
>
> The simple answer is not to put grandma in the admin group, which is
> actually probably more realistic than it sounds.

Sure, there will be no problem as long as we have no clueless users
(admins). True. But we want to build a distribution usable (that is,
maintainable) for human beings, right?

> If it does become a problem, we simply (try to) educate users that they

Look around! simply educate users, haha! You educate the users, I'll fix
the global warming, ok? ;-) Users just take the shortest path that
symptomatically brings the desired results.

> should do normal work with an account that doesn't have sudo privileges, and
> only log into an admin account when they need to do admin activities.
> Obviously a pain, but this is not a likely future anyway IMHO.

The point is that this has been the windows-thing for *years*, and it is
simply so unreasonably annoying that people always log in as admin. That
is the shortest path. Sudo is here to *fix* that. It is a little better,
because it's an extra door for malware. But in the end, the door is
open. (At least with the current setup).