breezy review at gcn.com

Sasha Tsykin stsykin at gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 06:04:46 BST 2006

Daniel Robitaille wrote:
> http://www.gcn.com/print/25_7/40267-1.html
>
> It's a mix of positive and negative in this review of Breezy.  In summary:
>
> Pros: Coexists well with Windows XP
> Cons: Hard to burn and fairly glitchy
> Price: Free
> Features: C+
> Value: B
> Security: B
> Ease of use: C
>

> The reviewer complains of a installation containing main pitfalls that
> often lead to a machine reboots, no official support from Ubuntu by
> phone (only by email),  problems burning the install disk ISO,  the
> configuration individual applications  is a pain: "because Ubantu is
> more cobbled together than governed by an overarching OS control
> scheme."
>
> The final conclusion: "For now, Ubuntu is a user-friendly distribution
> that comes with lots of add-ons. But it's not yet an enterprise-class
> OS. "
>

> --
> Daniel Robitaille

I don't think this is entirely fair, firstly because Breezy is already
quite old and dapper will be coming out soon, and secondly because I
disagree. I had no problems burning some 20 Breezy cds that I made. I
did not find that many glitches in breezy, and I found it very easy to
configure, especially after my experience with fedora. While the yast
system in Fedora is a good one, I don't think its necessary provided
everything can be accessed easily and easily understood through the GUI
and Ubuntu is moving in that direction. Ultimately however, its virtues
are in its ease of use, because most computer users don't really care
about the occasional crash, but they do care about having to do clever
tricks they don't understand which they got off the Internet, just to
get a piece of hardware working, and Ubuntu is moving in that direction.

Sasha