Firefox/Gnome bug with System->Preferences->Preferred Applications

Lee Revell rlrevell at joe-job.com
Mon Apr 3 22:35:16 BST 2006

When I set "Web Browser" to Firefox and select "Open in New Tab" (exact
command is 'firefox -remote "openurl(%s,new-tab)"'), clicking links in
other applications does not work at all unless I first open Firefox
manually.

IIRC it used to behave correctly - if Firefox was not already open, it
would be launched, otherwise the link opens in a new tab.  This broke
somewhere between Breezy and Dapper.

Is this a known bug?  Is any workaround available?

It would be very bad IMHO for Dapper to ship with this bug.

Lee