Off topic posts on sounder [was: [JT] Re: Filesystem - hiding system folders?]

Sasha Tsykin stsykin at gmail.com
Sun Apr 2 15:25:49 BST 2006

Tristan Wibberley wrote:
> Jeff Waugh wrote:
>> It was not about that - there's a lot of dross on the lists at the moment,
>> and we need to keep a lid on it.
>
> Uh, This *is* sounder we're talking about, right? The poster had only
> engaged in "Ubuntu community random chit-chat", even if it was pointless
> chit-chat (though I will debate whether a witticism of friendly rivalry
> is pointless).
>
> This is becoming silly; if Ubuntu doesn't want to host random chit-chat,
> then shouldn't it just close sounder down? Or has sounder become the
> "community development and ubuntu+n (n > 1) discussion list"? In which
> case the topic at https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ should be
> changed.
>
> Either way, Michael Shigorin's humourous presentation of his opinion of
> Nautilus should not be derogated as "dross" (refuse) - it is at most
> off-topic and I don't agree that it is even that as the official topic
> stands.

The sounder list was made precisely so that the various topics which did
not necessarily relate to Ubuntu could be posted somewhere and not
contaminate the other lists. If you don't like it, you really shouldn't
be subscribing to sounder, because that is its purpose. However, maybe
people should somehow indicate int eh subject line if their post doe not
relate to Ubuntu, that way people who don't want to read things which do
not relate to this distro can know they can ignore it without missing
anything which interests them.

Just my two cents,

Sasha