education and poverty

Michael Shigorin mike at osdn.org.ua
Sat Apr 1 09:23:27 BST 2006

On Tue, Mar 28, 2006 at 07:11:58PM +0800, Senectus . wrote:
> > Oh please don't tell me one needs higher education to plant
> > potatoes.  I have, but it doesn't really help, you know.
> That's the problem with short term views.
> Education isn't about telling people to grow potatoes,

[it's also been clarified that food is not primary problem]

> it's about making a future for the generations ahead.

It's rather about planting an illusion that they have future...

Seems like "the future" is very subjective term too, and having
buried another friend with higher education and who was regarded
as one of top Ukrainian IT people (responsible for .ua), and who
died a week ago (being 45) -- I don't know what future did you
mention.  I know that personal one is much more influenced by
different, if not opposite to education, things.

Don't know for the generations, still I can easily imagine
educated idler and non-educated person who does a lot of good
to those around.  Maybe a bit of good fixes a bit of future,
and a bit of idling makes that degrading future simply closer?

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin <mike at altlinux.ru>