Fwd: "Download & Install" vs "Repositories & Synaptic" and the need for a new URI [Was: Re: Going forward [Re: Automatix?]]

Jason Taylor killerkiwi2005 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 1 00:51:28 BST 2006

> How something like that works is *far* more important than how easy it
> is unless you don't mind tons of worms and viruses going around. I
> reckon users would prefer a few extra steps of an occasional task than
> virus/trojan removals and reinstalls, and contacting the bank to suspend
> the internet banking, etc, etc. It is very easy to ruin a user's
> experience by being careless.
The links would be only for repos already listed in the users repo
list so the the software would have to be already in the (ubuntu repos
only by default) repo and have a virus/spyware in it

> I think such a click install thing should be able to just select
> packages from pre-configured repositories, and should be able to
> *request* temporary addition of repositories, with the client giving a
> *big* fat warning for new packages to be installed, and an even
> *bigger*, *fatter* warning for packages being replaced that were
> initially installed from a repository with a different signature.
Agreed except im not sure allowing temp reops is a good idea. I think
telling the user they need to enable repo xyz and making the user do
this process manualy would be the blocker for random software installs
that people object to, as this would prevent the random malware
plaugue everybody fears

This is similar to the way firefox treats extension installs, they
fail by default unless the domain is on a whitelist.  Then the user
must add to the white list before trying the install again.

Kiwi