dups

Michael Shigorin mike at osdn.org.ua
Sun Sep 18 09:53:38 CDT 2005

On Sun, Sep 18, 2005 at 10:16:08AM +0800, John wrote:
> >Some people tend to think dups are worse than not having
   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >crossposts archived in every mailbox they get sorted to;
> >then they do something like this in ~/.procmailrc:
> Problems:
> 1. Not everyone, not even everyone using Linux _can_ use
> procmail for filtering.

Sure.

> 2. Weeding duplicates causes the wrong one to be deleted: Odds
> are you will get my reply directly from me before the copy from
> the list arrives.

Quite so.

> If you then reply to the list, you _may_ cause what I intended
> as a private reply to become public.

It's quite different matter concerning either broken MUA or
misunderstood/tired person, provided the private reply doesn't
have improper headers.

> 3. I generally regard duplicate replies as grossly
> discourteous, and I'm not alone in that view. You will give
> offence.

Pardon?  Why should I when the snippet above is in place, thus
the policy is enforced already? :-)

> I do not know of any sound reason to reply directly to the
> originator when the reply is alos being sent to the list, and
> often reasoning for replying to originator and not the list is
> faulty.

I do know -- when the originator is known to get to particular
list quite seldom, the reply is held as important to him (her),
and getting it read (replied) is urgent.

Also when it was asked that it's done so, either by word or by
appropriate Reply-To: or Mail-Followup-To:.

> Note that on this occasion I've replied directly to Michael in
> addition to to the list. If  Michael is weeding duplicates he
> probably won't see the cop sent by the list-management
> software.

Exactly.  That's why I'll s=_misc this message to one of such
less frequent read folders.  In fact, teaching mutt to
distinguish messages _both_ to me and to subscribed lists
might be worthy...

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin <mike at altlinux.ru>
 ----       visit our conference (Oct 1):