HP to ship Ubuntu laptops and desktops (EMEA, SA)

Jonathan Carter jonathan at shuttleworthfoundation.org
Wed Sep 14 11:51:28 CDT 2005

Hi Jeff

Jeff Waugh wrote:
> "Globally HP works with Red Hat and SuSE as their primary Linux
> distributions for servers and workstations. But on a local level, said
> Shulz, the company is working with Ubuntu."
>
>   http://www.tectonic.co.za/viewr.php?id=595

I wish it was as nice as they say. A mathematics institute in Cape Town
wants to buy a bunch of HP laptops with Ubuntu, but none of the
suppliers are willing to sell HP laptops without Windows. They do say
that they sell HP laptops with FreeDOS pre-installed, with an Ubuntu CD,
but they only import 250 of them into the country at a time, and only
seem to import if the demand is high enough. This seems a bit unlikely,
since most people are in a rush to get a laptop when they buy them. :(

-Jonathan