Windows Vista hardware requirements

Daniel Robitaille robitaille at ubuntu.com
Sat Sep 10 03:30:25 CDT 2005

On Sat, 2005-10-09 at 08:59 +0100, Mark Shuttleworth wrote:

> Xgl, glitz... there's a lot of bling coming down the pipeline, and as
> Linux becomes more desktop oriented the temptation for developers to
> layer bling on bling will increase. Hopefully the discipline of public
> source code will limit that effect, but my gut feel says we should be
> careful not to berate MSFT for bloatware till we've cut OO.o2 down to size.

while bling is nice, bling doesn't run well on a lot of the hardware in
the world.  And I would say most people don't need it to have it for
their normal computing experience: read email, surf the web, write the
odd document or spreadsheet.

I think its something Linux and Ubuntu has to be very concerned about
for the long run, especially when it wants to expand in areas of the
world where the hardware to run that modern bling simply isn't
widespread.

--
Daniel Robitaille