David M lists2006 at viewport.ukfsn.org
Wed Oct 26 10:56:52 CDT 2005

Shot - Piotr Szotkowski wrote in gmane.linux.ubuntu.sounder
 about: Re: Mad Penguin review

> David M:
>
>> I get the impression that quite a few people do find
>> the current naming scheme quite seriously embarrassing,
>
> There was a poll[1] about it on the Fridge.
>
><soapbox>
> First we lost the best official backgrounds and login screen anyone
> ever shipped,

I was saddened by that as well, but it is a fact that if a distro is looking
for worldwide adoption it needs to be slightly cautious with regards to
different levels of cultural acceptability. It was a question of broader
acceptability versus broader minds.. <ducks to avoid flamewar> ;-)

> now we're going to lose another nice micro-feature because
> somebody somewhere feels offended/embarassed/whatever.

See my previous post: I've got nothing against imaginative release
names, just as long as they don't sound too childish.. It's a question
of finding "balance", again.

> If Ubuntu wanted to please the easily offended/corporate/white-collars,
> the first thing it should change is the name itself.

I think the name, and what it means, is excellent, and I can't see how
anybody can be offended by the name. Puzzled, perhaps, but not offended.

--
--|  David M. -- [en, fr, (de)] --  |  reply-to email is valid <365d,  |
--|  Edinburgh, Scotland.           |  but reply-to-list preferred     |