Announcing the Ubuntu 5.10 release [UA]

John dingo at coco2.arach.net.au
Sat Oct 15 20:32:42 CDT 2005

Michael Shigorin wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 14, 2005 at 08:20:59AM +0800, John wrote:
>
>>Configuring Apache as a caching proxy can be useful; may be
>>slow for particular files the first time they're used and when
>>they're changed, but quick from then on, and you only cache
>>what people actually use - eg not most of Universe.
>

> Oh, there's apt-proxy for that.  Someone even did try to play
> these games but it just didn't hold up for Debian over here,
> so a mirror was introduced.

I did try apt-proxy, but then the next version was incompatible with
what I wanted.

Mostly, I find Squid caches well enough, but Apache allows one to set up
a virtual host that looks just like a real host.

I have used Apache to cache RH distros a couple of times and it's a real
  champ.

> But then, Debian is quite popular in Ukraine. :)

which doesn't mean that they want to cache all 13,000 or so packages in
Sarge plus the volatility of sid.