online article at zdnet.com.au

Mark Shuttleworth mark at canonical.com
Fri Oct 14 12:10:59 CDT 2005

Daniel Robitaille wrote:

>http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Second_tier_Linux_makers_release_new_products/0,2000061733,39217157,00.htm
>
>in which Ubuntutu is labelled a 2nd-tier Linux distro:
>
>"Mandriva and Ubuntu, two significant but second-tier versions of Linux,
>each released major updates on Thursday."

Don't be put out by that. In commercial terms thats currently an
accurate portrayal. In technical terms, I think we already carry
first-tier weight. And I think we're on track for first-tier commercial
status in what will be, with hindsight, record time. But it doesn't come
easily and it doesn't come too fast. We have to earn it. Be classy, be
friendly, be professional. Be Dapper.