online article: Should Linux vendors think differently?

Mark Shuttleworth mark at canonical.com
Wed Oct 12 04:59:38 CDT 2005

Duncan Anderson wrote:

> Yes, I agree. I hope no-one assumed I was knocking Ubuntu too much.

Not at all, your comments were useful in galvanising work on that front.
The new laptop-testing team has been doing fantastic work, and I think
we should be able to turn the hardware db into a great resource for
hardware compatibility testing too.

> I like it very much, especially for new users and so on. The problems
> I alluded to in my earlier posting are normally easy enough to repair
> by a bit of judicious editing of the mode lines in the X configuration
> file, but unfortunately they may be discouraging for a novice user.

If it's just modelines then we really should be able to get it right
first time. Daniel?

Mark