Ubuntu licensing

Hein-Pieter van Braam hp at syntomax.com
Tue Oct 11 03:43:04 CDT 2005

This confuses me to no end, first of all, I have to pay $0 for all THREE
of these components? If I run an ubuntu server in my enterprise under a
virtual machine which has 2 virtual processors on a system that has 4
physical processors, I have to Pay $0 x2 for the virtual processors AND
$0 x4 for the physical processors?

Does it work like this for real memory compared to virtual memory as

Clearly, this licensing policy is vastly inferior to the offerings of
other businesses where you only pay the fee for ONE of the
aforementioned components in a real or virtual environment. I think it
is rather ineffective to require the users of the software to pay the
same license fee multiple times! This is just the issue that microsoft
addressed in it's latest licensing scheme!

I really feel that this will have a negative effect on the use of ubuntu
in the enterprise,