Ubuntu licensing

Hein-Pieter van Braam hp at syntomax.com
Tue Oct 11 03:16:59 CDT 2005

Hello all,

According to microsofts recent shift in licensing schemes they now offer
virtual licenses, to clear up the use of microsoft software in virtual
environments, probably to add virtual value to their products, and
virtually drive innovation.

Details can be found here :
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2005/oct05/10-10virtualizationlicensing.mspx

We, as a community and canonical as a company should have a clear
response to this, because, we, do not have such a licensing scheme at
all!

I think it is CRUCIAL that we lay ubuntus licensing as clear as
possible, because I can not seem to find any figures.

is it:
$0 per physical processor,
$0 per virtual processor or
$0 per installed megabyte of ram?

it is important for the adoption of ubuntu in the enterprise to clear up
these matters!

I hope to hear from you,

TMM