South African Bandwidth

Marius Bock marius.lists at gmail.com
Sat Oct 8 15:03:56 CDT 2005

John

Bandwidth in South Africa is basically controlled by a monopolistic
telecommunications company called Telkom. The people in SA that has Internet
and that is a small % do it via dial-up (56K analog or 64K ISDN). We do have
ADSL but it is very expensive -- start from 192Kb up to 1024Kb with line
rental cost of $40 to $101. On top of this you have to pay around $30 for
3GB bandwidth. When you have used your 3GB of bandwidth you basically get
cut of from the Internet.

I have read somewhere that one of the reasons Mark (sabdfl) gave for moving
to London was the situation recarding bandwidth and telecoms in SA --
correct me if I am wrong here Mark.

To get an better idea about the situation visit http://www.myadsl.co.za/,
also have a look at the forums on that site.

Marius