Online article: "Microsoft funds African PCs amid open source debate"

Cefiar cef at optus.net
Fri Oct 7 07:47:10 CDT 2005

On Friday 07 October 2005 22:01, Eric Dunbar wrote:
> Linux is certainly at the point where it *could* meet most users'
> short-term needs, but, unfortunately there aren't really any distros
> dumb enough not to require an experts touch to keep them running for
> years on end! Especially, since they must offer the ability to allow a
> user to regularly download and install the latest version of an app
> from _anyone_.

There is a lot of polish still to go, but we are getting there.

> A Windows 98 user can still often install the latest version of an app
> an expect it to work. Try taking an app from Ubuntu 5.10 and install
> it on 4.10. Chances are it won't work.

I've got Return to Castle Wolfenstein installed here on my Breezy box. I used
the same install executables to install it on all the machines I've had since
I got it, back around when Debian Woody came out. It's worked the same on all
the boxes. I do agree that if you want to use native libraries on the running
system, you've got a dependancy issue. This'll be the case till the libs and
their interfaces settle down. Fortunately for a game like RtCW, libc and
OpenGL don't change too much.

 Stuart Young - aka Cefiar - cef at optus.net