Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Sun Nov 27 13:03:05 CST 2005

On Fri, 2005-11-25 at 17:12 -0800, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 27, 2005 at 11:09:41AM +0100, Matthew East wrote:
> > A friend of mine mailed this morning to tell me about his complete and
> > utter failure to make Ubuntu work with some hardware, so I have
> > published his brief report here:
> >
> > http://mdke.blogspot.com/2005/10/ubuntu-failure-story.html

> It sounds like something is very wrong with this installation; the symptoms
> are not indicative of a simple missing driver or any other hardware-specific
> problem.  The assumption that Ubuntu doesn't work well on older hardware
> seems to be a common one in situations like this, but is often not justified
> by the facts.

I visited him this weekend and had a look at the computer. The main
problem was that his administrative programs were not functioning.
Although there was no error message to debug the problem, running sudo
in a terminal revealed that the problem was caused by the absence of his
hostname in /etc/hosts, after we added it, then those worked. As for the
other problems, the soundcard doesn't even appear on lspci (smells of
broken hardware) and DRI is genuinely not working. He is getting
internet access soon so can upgrade to Breezy and see if it helps and/or
file bugs as appropriate.

Matt
mdke at ubuntu.com
gnupg pub 1024D/0E6B06FF