Matthew Franz mdfranz at gmail.com
Sun Nov 20 19:04:51 CST 2005

If it were just the JRE and plugins, no it wouldn't be a big deal
 The lack of everything in
http://suse.mirrors.tds.net/pub/opensuse/distribution/SL-OSS-stable/inst-source-java/suse/noarch/(most
of which, unlike Sun-JRE/JDK, are free) make it difficult for Ubuntu
to compete as as a non-LAMP server platform, let alone a platform for doing
any serious Java development.
 But running Tomcat & friends and doing Java development probably aren't
high on the Ubuntu priority list so probably not a big deal.
 - mdf

 On 11/20/05, Matthew East <mdke at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 2005-11-21 at 07:39 +0800, John wrote:
> > Matthew East wrote:

> > > Is this a big issue? I am pretty sure installing java is relatively
> easy
> > > for anyone able to follow instructions
> > > (http://help.ubuntu.com/starterguide/C/faqguide-all.html#sect-java )
> >

> > It's a huge issue. Start with the perfectly-reasonable assumption that
> > your user doesn't know about gnome-terminal, konsole or bash prompts.
> >
> > Most computer users I know are like this. OTOH they could probably find
> > "install java" on a menu and click it. Yhey might be able to choose
> > correctly between "install just for me" and "install for everyone."
>
> As I said, I'm not expert, but I still disagree with you. It isn't such
> a huge issue, in my view, because:
>
> * It's not free.
> * People who want non-free software usually have a good reason (e.g. no
> free alternative etc).
> * It's reasonable to expect users who want non-free software and have a
> good reason to have to go through some (simple) steps to install it.
> * The Starter Guide has a step by step guide to installation which even
> the most vaguely motivated user can follow (yes, it uses the terminal,
> but it has an explanation of that too).
>
> Perhaps the Ubuntu solution could be made better, yes. However a couple
> of alternative routes I would also suggest: 1. go to Sun and whinge,
> rather than Ubuntu, 2. go to Mozilla and whinge if firefox can't install
> the relevant plugin automatically (which I rather think it can).
>
> Matt
> --
> mdke at ubuntu.com
> gnupg pub 1024D/0E6B06FF