John dingo at coco2.arach.net.au
Sun Nov 20 17:28:25 CST 2005

Carlos Perelló Marín wrote:

>>>Presumably not the Sun JRE, then.
>>
>>No. It's the Sun's one indeed.
>

> I think that's because SuSE reached an agreement with SUN to distribute
> it. The problem with that kind of agreement is that *only* SuSE can
> distribute it, if you create a derivative, you must remove it from your
> version. In fact, I think you are not able to duplicate the CD and give
> it to other people just because the JRE software does not allow you to
> do that...
>
> Cheers.

Why nor download it (and IBM's) and read the licence?

I think IBM's is not distributable (but the licence does not make any
sense to me in the context of Java), that Sun's is provided that you
meet certain conditions, and those conditions require you to distribute
it with your own Java-using applications.