Derek Broughton news at
Thu Nov 10 09:46:52 CST 2005

John wrote:

> Derek Broughton wrote:
>>>Seems to me if you don't like the Ubuntu philosophy and its
>>>implementation, you'd be better of on Debian.
>> Huh?  How does the Ubuntu "philosophy" differ?  The implementation does,
>> but they both say they want their distro to be completely free.
> I don't think you will find the firmware for prism54 wireless cards in
> Sarge. Nor would I expect to find the HAL for atheros cards.
> My fresh, standard-install breezy kernel is tainted. Would Debian do that?

No they wouldn't.  But that's why I say the philosophy is the same and the
implementation different.  Both say "we want an entirely free product", but
Ubuntu realizes we need to support some non-free hardware.  _My_ philosophy
is also in favour of a free distro - so I really think Ubuntu should be
making it possible to install _without_ the non-free software if you don't
need it.  (aiui, your fresh standard-install breezy _isn't_ tainted until
you modprobe the non-free device driver).