A Novice New to Linux

Mark Shuttleworth mark at canonical.com
Sun May 22 09:42:23 CDT 2005

Cal wrote:

> I would like to install ubuntu on an old machine first. An HP Pavilion
> 9680C w/a 40gb hard drive. I want to partition the drive such that
> ubuntu will have 10 to 15 GB's available and at boot up would like to
> have a menu so that either ubuntu or Windows 98 can be choosen. There
> is a hint at this on the installation disk but, nowhere did it clearly
> state that this would/could be done. Also, am being cautious so as
> not  to have to re-install Windows 98.

Yes. When you get to the disk partitioning step, select your existing
partition, press enter on it, and then give it a new size. It will
resize the windows partition. Then you can add a partition for Ubuntu,
and a swap partition (twice your RAM is a good idea). Just be a little
careful and you'll be fine.

> On the above machine, for your info, the live CD after booting froze
> on the language screen.

That's unexpected. It might prevent installation, since much of the code
is identical. Let us know, good luck and welcome to the world of Linux!

Mark