A Novice New to Linux

Cal ocalacal at netscape.net
Sun May 22 08:10:20 CDT 2005

Please note that I'm almost a complete novice to linux but, would like
to learn.

I have the two disk for ver. 5.04.

I would like to install ubuntu on an old machine first. An HP Pavilion
9680C w/a 40gb hard drive. I want to partition the drive such that
ubuntu will have 10 to 15 GB's available and at boot up would like to
have a menu so that either ubuntu or Windows 98 can be choosen. There is
a hint at this on the installation disk but, nowhere did it clearly
state that this would/could be done. Also, am being cautious so as not
to have to re-install Windows 98.

On the above machine, for your info, the live CD after booting froze on
the language screen.

Question:  Will the ubuntu installation disk guide me through a
partition & a menu process as above w/o destroying my Windows installation?