Linux in Government: Optimizing Desktop Performance, Part I (LJ)

Paul Sladen sounder at paul.sladen.org
Mon May 16 18:16:47 CDT 2005

  http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8308

  One of the major complaints that I hear is how long it takes the
  OpenOffice.org applications to launch. [...]

  I changed the default values under the Graphics cache for 'Use for
  OpenOffice.org' and 'Memory per Object'. I increased the first value from
  6MB to 128MB. I also increased the second value from .5MB to 20MB.

  After clicking OK, I closed the word processor and reopened it two
  times. On each occasion, the application took less time to open. Under
  Ubuntu, I found that OO Writer opened in three seconds, and in Fedora it
  opened in less than six seconds. Previously, it took 30 and 26 seconds,
  respectively, for the word processor to launch.

I was impressed by the use of 'sudo' in the examples too.

	-Paul
--
It sometimes snows here.  London, GB