Ubuntu CDs from Shipit [was: ubuntu cd handout at an ict event]

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Tue May 10 12:24:32 CDT 2005

On Tue, May 10, 2005 at 05:59:51PM +0100, Ben Francis wrote:

> Replying to my own email from a while back here. I've just received my
> 10 Copies of Hoary (mixture of PowerPC, AMD64 and x86 discs) from Shipit
> and they're just like this! An "install Ubuntu" CD on one side and a
> "try Ubuntu" CD on the other with message on the back which encourages
> copying and redistribution. Were the Warty CDs shipped in this format
> too or is this new?

Ubuntu 4.10 (Warty) was packaged in the same way, back in October of 2004.
There was no live CD for amd64 or powerpc at that time, but the x86 sleeve
contained live and install CDs.

> >If these two CDs could somehow be combined then it would be much
> >simpler (and cheaper) to do this. People like the idea of being able
> >to try something free that's not going to break their computer, but if
> >there's no easy transition to actually installing it this doesn't
> >translate to long term users.
>

> Perhaps something for the future.

This idea is also something we've already thought about, for some time.
We've recently documented some of these thoughts here:

http://udu.wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuExpress

> Having said that, now I've received the CDs I do wonder whether having a
> Live CD that will never change any of the files on your computer is a good
> thing as it's very safe to use.  People who aren't very confident with
> computers may hesitate to try the live CD if there's a risk they might
> "press the wrong button" and overwrite all their files.

We plan to make that button BIG and RED and SCARY.

--
 - mdz