[FIN] Re: GPL considered what?

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Mon May 9 06:58:10 CDT 2005

On 5/8/05, Michael Shigorin <mike at osdn.org.ua> wrote:
> PreScriptum: it seems like belonging to some legal/IANAL mailing
> list, definitely not there?

I haven't looked at the charter for 'sounder' but I suspect that it's
"anything [decent] goes as long as it's even tangentally related to
Ubuntu and/or Linux and/or software and/or open source".

> Hmm... back to the topic -- did anyone over there ever try to
> actually create some comparison chart of the most popular free
> software licenses from developers' and users' viewpoints?
>
> Every attempt of mine here to get some written document from
> local *BSD users and developers miserably failed -- they just
> couldn't do it constructively, falling back to "the damned GPL".

Oh, how I wish I had the time to devote to university study again.
Time to enrol in a PhD ;-) (in biology I'm sure, but, as per usual
I'll look at everything and everything under the sun).

> > But, in the mean time I'd like to see open source move as far
> > as possible, as fast as possible.
>
> Even if it means killing people -- or predating the idea that
> gave it life altogether?  I doubt.

I don't think killing people is necessary, but I don't mind seeing
"founders" fall by the wayside if they're an impediment to progress.
I'm greatful to founders for taking the plunge, but if they don't
change with the times they need to step aside (there are a few
"founders" in the Linux/GNU/open source world that certainly could
stand to whither into oblivion).

> > Of course, mutt is a mutt to use -- it don't work
> > worth a damn :-) :-) :-)
>
> Uh-oh.
>
> 1) it works for me (tm);
> 2) it seems to be off topic here;
> 3) sad to say Eric but more than a few of your writing habits
>    seem to match the troll FAQ, maybe you'd pay attention to that
>    before too late (getting known as a troll, that is).

No, I just tell it as it is ;-) (& I like to challenge people to
*think*). mutt *does* suck. It's ornery, convoluted and its use is not
obvious. If you have to read a man page to use a piece of software
like a mail reader then it's poorly written! Even CLUI illiterates can
type pine at a command line and expect to use it 'out of the box'. All
they have to do is RTFS, and, maybe know that ^ means control (though,
I don't think pine makes that assumption).

> > (vi sucks as an editor).
>
> Yes, I've struggled with vi until vim was found.  Then it ruled.
> :-)

Hmm. Will have to take a look (doubt it'll be anymore effective for me
than pico/nano but I'm willing to look... I rarely use the CLUI so
it's not really worth learning new interfaces... which is why I use
pine for my system mail & have never bothered with 'mail').

ERic.