OpenOffice 2.0 and Java

Jeff Waugh jeff.waugh at
Tue Mar 29 17:09:15 CST 2005

<quote who="Mark Shuttleworth">

> I wonder if we shouldn't put together an open letter to the
> team, asking them to work a Free java option into their build process so
> that they at least preserve the ability of people to use upstream OO.o
> without putting non-free software on their systems.

Note that the interesting community development of OOo doesn't involve Sun
at all - Ubuntu, Debian, Red Hat, Novell and others all use the rapid
development and release tree at, and they're all interested
in a Free solution to the Java problem Sun has inflicted upon us.

- Jeff

UbuntuDownUnder: April 25th-30th
     "I don't even understand offside so I'm not likely to understand a
                 Manchester United contract." - Posh Spice