Another Rave Review for Ubuntu

Ed Sutherland digital at twcny.rr.com
Sun Mar 27 14:10:55 CST 2005

I just want to add my voice to those many fans of Ubuntu. The progress
Linux has made over the last six months is amazing. Nothing more
epitomizes the greater depth of desktop-centric Linux distributions than
Ubuntu.

The person who is responsible for the tagline: "Linux for Humans" should
get a hearty pat on the back. In a nutshell, it is what Linux has always
needed. I'd been a bit turned-off by the chip-on-the-shoulder much of
the Linux community had held when it came to the average user. It was as
if Linux was created by and for CS majors burned out from answering too
many IT requests. When the average user from Windows decided to
investigate Linux as a desktop replacement, the response was like the
proverbial straw that broke the camel's back and a simple question was
too often greeted by 'read the manual', as if most people have no life
beyond tweaking their computer operating system and reading obscure man
pages.

If Linspire is the perfect Linux desktop for beginners, Ubuntu is
shaping up as the perfect Linux desktop for intermediate users. I fall
into that category. I like the hand-holding Linspire offers, but prefer
a bit more freedom.

The two major improvements of Ubuntu haven't been in the performance
department but in the user experience. I was able to install Ubuntu with
only one technical question: choosing the partition. My computer
components were all recognized and X.org came up without a hitch. This
is a vast improvement over previous Linux distributions which required
manipulation of various files and settings. I was quickly able to get to
work; the reason for a computer. As someone pointed out, my computer
works for me -- not the other way around.

Anyway, I wanted to let the Ubuntu community of my positive experience.
Although I'm using Linspire 5.0 now for its CNR feature and the
consolidating of KDE and Gnome apps into a single 'look' I'll keep my
eyes open for future Ubuntu progress.

Ed