Ubuntu and Userlinux

Pete Ryland pdr at pdr.cx
Thu Mar 24 12:26:35 CST 2005

On Thu, Mar 24, 2005 at 04:15:06 +0000, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-03-23 at 19:39 +0000, Pete Ryland wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 23, 2005 at 07:27:29PM +0000, Rui Tiago Matos wrote:
> > > That 1st reply to jdub was a bit harsh. I wonder what has been
> > > happening so that some people have those kinds of feelings towards
> > > ubuntu devs...
> >
> > I've witnessed some antagonism towards Ubuntu as a whole from certain
> > individuals in the Debian UK community and their bitterness seemed much
> > more personal than anything else.  Perhaps it's simply a story of sour
> > grapes?
>
> Really? Which ones? I can understand people not wanting to do things like
> hand out Ubuntu CDs at Debian stands (after all, there's non-free software
> on them), but beyond that I've seen no significant antagonism at all.

I'm not about to name names, but I did indeed have that incident in mind.
More for the way that it was said than anything else.  It's fair enough that
Ubuntu CDs don't get handed out at a Debian stand within a non-commercial
area, but IIRC the idea seemed only to be aired due to the age of the last
Debian stable release and didn't deserve such a harsh reply.  Especially
since in previous years Knoppix and other Debian derivatives were happily
given to people at that same stand.  It's not really significant I guess, I
just thought I'd mention the observation as it did strike me at the time to
be a little OTT when juxtaposed with the spirit of Ubuntu and its code of
conduct.

Pete