Ubuntu an Alternative to Linspire?

Joel Joel
Thu Mar 24 02:20:10 CST 2005

A Thu, 24 Mar 2005 00:13:08 -0500, Ed Sutherland à écrit:

> I'm a Linspire 5.0 user but am looking for a bit more flexibility. I'm

> looking at Ubuntu because it is debian-based, includes more recent

> versions of my favorite applications, and does have wide support both

> from the user community and a commercial entity.

> But (and you know one of those just had to appear) I don't want to give

> up the positive aspects of Linspire: zero configuration, perfect

> hardware detection and Windows support (I'm able to access my XP

> partition and use my Windows truetype fonts.)

> Am I asking for too much, or can Ubuntu provide me more freedom but not

> at the expense of desktop user friendliness? (I hope the answer is yes.

> After weeks in Linux, going back to XP is a jarring experience.)

> Thanks.

> Ed

Hello,

Linspire is probably a good distro, but what they do the best is communicate on features they don't have (windows apps compatibility) or presenting as THE NEW GREAT feature something every distro already does. How were they known? not because of the excellence of their distro, but because of their first name (Lindows).

I dislike the way they are doing things, but I recognize that they are helping pretty well Free Software (supporting Nvu for exemple).

My opinion.

Joel Dimbernat