Mac OS X v. Linux

Rui T. C. Matos tiagomatos at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 11:22:24 CDT 2005

On this whole topic of human/machine interfaces and OSS being inovative or
not I would just like to leave here some food for thought links:

* Plasma: the desktop shell for KDE 4
  http://plasma.bddf.ca/

* Mezzo: "the desktop is a folder"
  http://www.symphonyos.com/desktop.html

* Ion: a tabbed window manager [which I use]
  http://modeemi.cs.tut.fi/~tuomov/ion/

* VIS: Vapourware Interface Synthesiser
  http://modeemi.fi/~tuomov/vis/vis-paper/

VIS doesn't actually exist but has some really nice ideas which go quite
beyond the WIMP paradigm. On the VIS and Ion links Tuomov has a good
rationale of why usability and familiarity don't always play well together
and that there is no end-all-be-all user interface. Ultimately it all boils
down to personal taste and the nature os the task at hand.

Plasma and Mezzo are displaying some nice ideas too, although not to my
taste but, there you go, taste matters :-)

Rui