power-user's desktop is *tuned*, not just pre-set (was: Mac OS X v. Linux)

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Sun Jun 26 06:48:37 CDT 2005

On Fri, Jun 24, 2005 at 06:24:32PM -0400, Eric Dunbar wrote:
> Unfortunately, no one has implemented a tabbed UI model under Linux
> (GNOME/KDE) or Windows. ctrl-page up or ctrl-page down are poor
> solutions because they require TWO hands for right handed people (who
> make up 90% of users) or for any users who use a mouse right handedly.
>
> Anything that requires a two-handed solutions isn't a good idea. Plus,
> on many laptops ctrl-page up is quite an ordeal to activate.

It's quite simple on the keyboards of both my laptop and desktop: press
the right Control key with your right thumb, leaving you with a choice
of fingers from your right hand to hit Page Up/Page Down.

> alt-~ or ctrl-~ are much better solutions since they require only one
> hand to activate whilst you can leave your hand on the mouse, and are
> something that ought to be implemented at the system level
> (GNOME/KDE/your favourite window manager)

At least in the US layout, this is a three-finger combination
(Alt-Shift-backtick), which is more complicated than the two-finger
combination.  It's also staggeringly less intuitive.