Why "Open Source" is a dead end *for Ubuntu* (Was: Why no mention of GNU?)

Emil Oppeln-Bronikowski opi at cyb3r.org
Thu Jun 16 12:12:21 CDT 2005

On Thursday 16 of June 2005 17:26, Eric Feliksik wrote:

> will improve IE, and people won't bother to download Firefox anymore.
> They won't bother to go to google.com, because IE7 has a MSN-search
> toolbar by default.

 That's why I put emphassis on only one thing. Education. People who are
educated tend to search thier own way. I don't care about whatever they will
pick: Linux, BSD, Windows or Solaris. People that can choice are better than
people who just follow.

> So if we are looking for *loyal* users, they must give them a persistent
> reason to use Free Software, even if they are under pressure by
> incompatible formats/protocols/services.

 That's education stuff, too. My boss used to e-mail me a .pps files. Then I
just spend 1h of my worktime to write a detailed e-mail about different file
formats, tools I use, OASIS, OOo, KOffice, and why I find posting .pps as
something rude. And you know what? It worked.

> [1] daily, but without people knowing about the ideology of Free
> Software other than "It so cool and stable" will not be of much use.

 I would just say that Free Software is like friendly campfire. You can sit
down, grab a beer, you can bring your own beer and share with others. :-)

--
 Emil Oppeln-Bronikowski, http://bronikowski.com
 The only source of knowledge is experience.