"Free software" vs. "Open Source" (again) (Re: Why "Open Source" is a dead end *for Ubuntu*)

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Thu Jun 16 11:45:08 CDT 2005

On Thu, Jun 16, 2005 at 05:26:54PM +0200, Eric Feliksik wrote:

> I'm happy Mark Shuttleworth brought up this thread again. "The Ubuntu
> Linux distribution brings the spirit of Ubuntu to the software world".
> This basically means one of Ubuntu's goals is to bring Free/OpenSource
> Software to the masses. Based on that, I will explain why this can not
> go without putting much emphasis on ideology. The attitude of "RMS is a
> fundamentalist, the term 'Open Source' will save us because it's more
> pragmatic" will do the Ubuntu project no good.

Is there some published text, or has there been a public statement, which
you feel expresses such a sentiment on behalf of Ubuntu?

> Therefore I'd say that especially as Ubuntu is getting a *lot* of
> attention from home users, there is a golden oppertunity to put more
> emphasis on the ideology of Free Software. In the end it does not matter
> how a thing is called, but the terminology "Open Source" does not solve
> any problem in the quest for loyalty. If you do not agree, then open your
> eyes, and see the numerous people that have *no idea* of what FLOSS is and
> what it stands for, whether you call it "Free Software" or "Open Source".
> Those are very intelligent people, often studying Computer Science, and
> sometimes even using GNU/Linux themselves.

The Free Software and Open Source initiatives are two arms of one, broader
movement toward universally available software developed through global
collaboration.  I don't agree with your assessment that Ubuntu must "choose
sides" in order to succeed, because fundamentally, the efforts undertaken in
Ubuntu will benefit both movements.

In their own words:

The OSI "exists to make this case [that this development model is a
superior approach to software development] to the commercial world"

The FSF "is dedicated to promoting computer users' rights to use, study,
copy, modify, and redistribute computer programs."

It seems clear that these are not opposing viewpoints, but complementary
ones.  Ubuntu exemplifies and promotes both of these principles.

--
 - mdz